[Upgrade Version] 5 Inch CCTV Camera Tester, Electop 4 in 1 AHD TVI CVI Coaxial HD Video Monitor Tester ,Support Analog Video Test ,UTP Cable Test ,VGA/HDMI Input ,DC12V Output Camera Tester$139.87
[Upgrade Version] Electop Wrist CCTV Tester, 5 Inch 4 in 1 HD 1080P Portable Camera Tester AHD TVI CVI CVBS Tester VGA TFT LCD Monitor Analog Video Test Cable Test PTZ Control 12V Power Output$89.99
0-90% Brix Meter Refractometer,V-Resourcing Portable Hand Held Sugar Content Measurement for Sugar, Food, Fruit, Beverages Honey$24.99
19 in 1 Network Cable Tester Rj45 Kit Rj11 Cat5 Cat6 6P6C 8P8C Connectors Portable Phone Cable Crimper, Stripper Cutter Pliers Network Tool Set Professional$17.99
2 in 1 Water Quality Chlorine and PH Tester Meter, Portable Digital Water Quality Tester Analysis Monitor,PH and Chlorine Level CL2 Chlorine Tester for Swimming Pool$35.89
2021[Upgraded]Best Sellers High Accuracy Professional Jeweler Diamond Tester II V2 for Novice and Expert -Diamond Selector II (Diamond Tester)$16.66
220V ~ 250V Portable Electrical Smart Socket Tester & 50-60Hz AC 12-1000V Pen Circuit Detector$34.98
4 Inch Portable CCTV Tester Up to 4K 8MP H265 Camera-Support IP,CVBS Analog Camera,AHD,TVI,CVI-Built in WiFi, PoE Power Output,PTZ Control, Onvif$219.99
Just like metals and their alloys hardness is conveniently measured using Rockwell, Brinell, and the Vickers hardness tests, the hardness of minerals is best determined using Moh’s hardness test.
The hardness test is all about determining the resistance of the mineral to be scratched. Hardness is basically the characteristic of the material instead of being its fundamental physical property.
Different types of materials are measured for their hardness using various hardness testing methods.
The Moh’s hardness scale was developed by a German mineralogist named Friedrich Mohs in 1812.
Ten minerals of different hardness were selected by him that ranged from being very soft ones (talc) to the hardest mineral (diamond). All of the minerals are easy to obtain with the exception of a diamond.
Moh’s hardness test holds primary importance when it comes to identifying mineral specimens.
【𝐄𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧】 Hardness Tester, Shore Type A/O/D Rubber Tire Durometer Hardness Tester Meter 0-100 HA(A Type)$20.93
0-100HD Shore A Hardness Tester Meter,Digital Portable Durometer Scale for Rubber, Silica Gel, tire and Plastic$32.99
0~100HA Rubber Tire Shore A Durometer Hardness Digital Meter Tester Large LCD Display for General Rubber, Synthetic Rubber, Soft Rubber, Poly Fat, Leather and Wax$28.90
100HD A Digital Durometer Shore Rubber Hardness Tester with LCD Display Meter$32.99
12V Electronic Automotive Relay Tester Auto Car Diagnostic Battery Checker Tool Relay Tester Automotive Kit
15A Male to 30A Female RV Power Adapter Cords Electrical Twist Lock Adaptors 12-inch(15M30T)$19.99
16 in 1 Drinking Water Test Kit |High Sensitivity Test Strips detect pH, Hardness, Chlorine, Lead, Iron, Copper, Nitrate, Nitrite | Home Water Purity Test Strips for Aquarium, Pool, Well & Tap Water$20.98
AIRIC Voltage Tester Non Contact AC Pen Electrical Tester Adjustable Sensitivity, Outlet Circuit Tester, LED Flashlight, Beeper Alarm, 12V-1000V/48V-1000V & Null Live Wires Voltage Detector$12.99
Ten reference minerals ranging from hardness on a scale of 1 to 10 are used to compare the resistance of a mineral that has to be scratched.
The test is greatly used because most of the mineral specimen is very close to the hardness of minerals provided in Moh’s hardness scale.
Moh’s hardness scale
Moh’s hardness scale is demonstrated using the following table
Making comparisons of hardness
The resistance of the material to be scratched is referred to as “hardness”. For conducting a test, a sharp point of one specimen is placed on an unmarked surface attempting to make a scratch to another specimen.
While observing the darkness of two specimens, there can be four situations you might witness:
- Specimen A tends to be harder than specimen B if specimen A scratches specimen B.
- If specimen B doesn’t get scratched by specimen A, specimen B tends to be harder than specimen A.
- If both the specimen is relatively ineffective while they scratch one another, it is possible that two specimens are of equal hardness.
- If there are three specimen A, B, and C and specimen A cannot be scratched by specimen C while it can be scratched by specimen B, it is expected that specimen A has the hardness between the hardness of specimen B and C.
The testing procedure of Moh’s hardness
Moh’s hardness testing procedure consists of the following steps
- Begin by identifying and locating an unscratched and smooth surface for the testing procedure.
- Hold the specimen of unknown hardness with one hand against the top of the table firmly so that the surface to be tested is accessible and exposed. By placing it on the top of the table, you can have a firm grip on your specimen, and you’ll be able to hold it motionless so that it will not affect the findings of the test.
- In your other hand, hold one of the specimens of standard hardness. Now, select the flat surface of the unknown specimen and place it against the specimen of known hardness.
- Press the point of the standard hardness specimen firmly against the unknown specimen. Then, drag the point of the standard hardness specimen towards the surface of the unknown specimen.
- The surface of the unknown specimen should be examined. Brush away any powder or any mineral fragments with the help of your finger. Examine whether a scratch was produced from the test? A scratch will not be some kind of a mark that wipes away on the surface. Instead, it would be a distinctive groove cut made on the surface of the mineral that shouldn’t be confused with a mineral residue or powder.
- You can conduct the test twice to confirm your findings.
Some great tips for Moh’s hardness test
To achieve viable results every time you conduct Moh’s hardness test, a few tips can be followed. Some of these are discussed below:
- Some specimens actually contain impurities that might interfere with your test results. If the information from your tests or the results is not conclusive, try testing it again. It is quite possible that an impurity might be embedded in one of your tested specimens.
- You have to be very careful while handling the granular or small specimen as some hard materials can also be very brittle. It is possible that one of your specimens might start crumbling or breaking rather than scratching.
- The specimen shouldn’t be rubbed back and forth against another specimen as it may not produce any mark and alter the results. The test should be performed gently with the goal of cutting a scratch with a single determined motion.
- This type of testing shouldn’t be done on fine furniture. Rather, this test should be performed on a workbench or lab table with a protective covering or durable surface.
- For a handy reference, a list of minerals in their relative order of hardness can be very beneficial. You can get a list of potential minerals quickly by determining the hardness of a specific specimen.
Toughness, strength, and hardness
While conducting Moh’s hardness test, you should always keep in mind that your purpose is to test “the resistance to scratching”.
There’s a possibility that the specimen might fail in other ways while performing the test. They might deform, crumble or break instead of scratching.
Due to the lack of toughness, hard materials are expected to break when they are subjected to stress. The crumbliness or deformation of materials can be due to a lack of strength when they are subjected to stress.
Uses for Moh’s hardness test
Moh’s hardness tests are extensively used for determining the relative hardness of specimens of minerals.
These tests are performed as a part of mineral identification procedures in the classroom, laboratory or in the field when other tests are not available or when the easily identified materials are being examined.
Hardness tests are essential to determine the suitability of materials that are used in industry for various purposes, including a specific end-use application or a specific industrial process.
To confirm and test whether the hardening treatments such as tempering, annealing, case hardening or work hardening have been done to specification, Moh’s hardness test is ideal to be conducted in manufacturing processes.
[Upgraded] High Accuracy Diamond Tester Professional Jeweler for Novice and Expert – Diamond Selector II 9V Battery Included(Black Diamond Testers)$16.99
#moh – 11oz Hashtag Ceramic Colored Handle and Inside Coffee Mug Cup, Black$22.99
#moh – 12oz Hashtag Camping Mug Stainless Steel, Black$22.89
#moh – 14oz Hashtag White Ceramic Statesman Coffee Mug$24.89
#moh – 14oz Stainless Steel Travel Mug, Silver$26.99
#moh – 20oz Hashtag Stainless Steel White Water Bottle with Carabiner, White$24.89
#moh – Ceramic 11oz White Mug, White$22.89
#tester – 11oz Ceramic Colored Handle and Inside Coffee Mug Cup, Black$22.99